Boston Red Sox Boston Red Sox Lose After John Farrell Leaves Wright In For Too Long Share Tweet Published 7 months ago on April 29, 2017 By Tanner Rebelo Boston Red Sox Lose After John Farrell Leaves Wright In For Too Long *Updated: So this piece is a tad ranty, and more opinionated than I would have liked given all the injuries that Farrell has had to deal with so far this season. That being said, he made the wrong move given the situation that was unfolding in front of him. Read the article below if you want to know why that is the case. Time and time again Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell has illustrated his inability to make in-game decisions in terms of player substitutions. Saturday afternoon’s loss to the Chicago Cubs will go down as just another example of Farrell failing to see what is slapping him right in the face. On Saturday starter Steven Wright had a solid 6 innings of work giving up three runs with 97 pitches under his belt. Despite what seems like straightforward logic Farrell decided to throw Wright out there to start the seventh inning even though all the signs pointed to getting him out of dodge before it was too late. Unfortunately for Boston Wright gave up a missile to Miguel Montero on the first pitch of the inning. Following that came an Albert Amora pop-up and a Jon Jay double. At that point, three batters too late, Farrell pulled Wright as he had no one warming up to start the inning knowing his knuckleballer was reaching his limit. In came Robby Scott who gave up a single to Kyle Schwarber making it a 5-4 game in favor of the Cubs. Then recently called up Ben Taylor came in and walked Kris Bryant before getting Anthony Rizzo to ground into a force play that ended up including the Red Sox having two throwing errors making it a 6-4 game. But hey it is alright guys none of this is on Farrell, it is on Matt Barnes for getting suspended for four games for throwing at the head of Baltimore Orioles third basemen Manny Machado. Technically the Red Sox are down a man with Barnes suspended, and with no days off till May 8th the Red Sox bullpen is under siege. Below is what Farrell said about if Barnes was available. “Yeah, I would have,” said Farrell when asked if he might approach the inning differently if he had Barnes available. “Now, I will say this, with Joe Kelly being down today, we’re in a situation where if Robby Scott starts that inning, we’ve got Baez waiting to hit for Jon Jay and not getting a favorable matchup with the short porch in left here. More than anything, the way he had gone through the lineup just twice up to that point, he was in good shape with Steven going back out for the seventh.” Farrell is using the schedule that every team has and the Barnes suspension as a crutch to defend his actions that blew up in his face as he stares down the possibility of ending April as a .500 ball club. The team called up Taylor prior to the game as a fresh arm, with the team also being at home for the remainder of the Barnes suspension, they have the luxury of flipping guys back and forth between Boston and Pawtucket (45 minutes away). Even being down a man in the pen is manageable because of the prior mentioned facts, you have Noe Ramirez, Robbie Ross, and Brandon Workman all sitting down in AAA. There are ways to work around your roster to bring one up at a time and send them packing the next day, sending Wright out there was not Farrell’s only choice, there were other ways to protect his bullpen from overuse. If he thought Wright was near the end of his outing he could have protected himself by having someone warming up to start the inning. Take ownership of your failures, no wonder Xander Bogaerts blamed their lack of production on the offensive on missing David Ortiz, the kid is learning from the best. Seriously though how has no one asked Xander after a game of offensive production how they are doing it without Ortiz. Related Topics:Boston Red Soxfeaturedred sox Up Next Hanley Ramirez Leads the Charge as the Red Sox Win Against the Cubs Don't Miss Boston Red Sox Catching Job Up For Grabs With Sandy Leon Struggling Tanner Rebelo Tanner founded Trifecta Network in Spring of 2016 and has been the Chief of Content for the Network since that time. Currently Tanner covers all the sports teams in Boston and has contacts in many of the teams in the city. Before starting Trifecta, Tanner was a Site Expert for the FanSided site Chowder and Champions before leaving to cover Boston teams on the ground as a member of the media for Trifecta. Continue Reading Advertisement You may like Bottom Line: Boston Red Sox Need Stanton Minimum Expectations for the 2018 Red Sox Red Sox Name Alex Cora As The New Manager Red Sox Managerial Decision Seemingly Made Up The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Red Sox Manager Contestants Stepping Right Up Boston Red Sox Bottom Line: Boston Red Sox Need Stanton Published 6 days ago on November 16, 2017 By Tanner Rebelo Boston Red Sox Team President Dave Dombrowski isn’t a great talent evaluator. Throughout his entire career, he has built his success by acquiring proven big league talent. Betting on that changing anytime soon is foolish, so why not make another move for proven talent? Giancarlo Stanton of the Miami Marlins has long been rumored to be on the trade block and Boston is just one of his potential destinations. Reports have stated thought that Stanton would prefer a trade to a team like the Dodgers despite “advisers” pushing for Boston. The Stanton vs Judge potential is enough to get any baseball fans heart racing. But should Boston present Miami a god offer? Some have balked at the potential of trading any more prospects but let me tell you a very well known secret, Boston’s farm system has been pillaged. Jay Groome and Michael Chavis are considered the best two prospects remaining under Dombrowski. My source tells me that while Giancarlo Stanton's preference is the LA Dodgers. His advisers are pushing for the #RedSox. Saying it would be huge for marketing/off field opportunities and it would be big for baseball. Stanton vs Judge in the AL East 19 times a season. pic.twitter.com/tpaPmQoeZE — Joe Kayata (@NBC10_Joe) November 15, 2017 So any thought of depleting the farm system anymore should be tossed out the window as there isn’t much left there, to begin with. On top of that, the current makeup of the team and the organization is winning now, a strategy that is far from working given the current talent in the lineup. Last season the Red Sox lacked true pop in their lineup after the retirement of David Ortiz. Many at the time sold it as the 2015 Royals who nickeled and dimed their way to a world series title. But when it came down to it the 2017 Boston Red Sox lacked balls. Boston needs a power bat in the heart of their order. Not just for the home runs from that player, but for the protection they would offer the other hitters in the lineup. If you were a pitcher facing the Red Sox last season almost every hitter in the lineup could be pitched too. The only exception might be Hanley Ramirez, but the BIG HR simply was set up to fail to have to step in for Ortiz with no protection around him. Stanton would instantly bring in pop, lineup protection, and the much needed “it” factor that will help drive fans to the team. Without this type of move, it is hard to see how next season will be any different. Continue Reading Boston Red Sox Minimum Expectations for the 2018 Red Sox Published 2 weeks ago on November 7, 2017 By Jackson Kelley Last year, it was Chris Sale; in 2016, the exorbitantly expensive David Price was all the hype. Both of these roundly heralded saviors produced the same underwhelming results. Another short-winded trip to the playoffs; another bummer of a year. The Red Sox simply cannot afford a third consecutive first-round exit, in the 2018 postseason. And it seems that Dave Dombrowski knows this. In an attempt to prevent car-flipping anarchy in the streets, he fired the overseer of all this recent failure (his direct subordinate) – John Farrell. Now the Sox will be heading into next season with a newfangled remedy. No, it’s not a hundred-million dollar player. This time around, management has received the upgrade. It’s the newly hired manager, Alex Cora, who will be charged with the burden of resurrecting one of the most venerated franchises in professional sports. On Monday, Cora was formally introduced to Boston as the new manager (or scapegoat). Good luck, buddy! You’re gonna need it. Should Boston fans really expect an appreciable change to be affected by just one man? After all, this is exactly what we’ve done, to no avail, for the past few years. And if Cora really represents the end-all-be-all solution, what is a realistic accomplishment for him, and his club, in the first season of his tenure? Continue Reading Boston Red Sox Like Looking in the Mirror Published 3 weeks ago on November 2, 2017 By Jackson Kelley After watching the Houston Astros win the 2017 World Series, Red Sox fans deserve to be upset. Go ahead and sink into your bed of indignance, for a couple of days, and don’t let anyone stop you, Red Sox Nation. You’re safe there. The asseveration has lingered on the tip of Boston’s tongue, ever since the ALDS – “That could have been us!” And it’s true, it could have been the Sox hoisting that trophy, on Wednesday night. Continue Reading Most Popular Boston Celtics6 days ago The Mask: Recalibrating Kyrie’s Face and the Offense Boston Red Sox6 days ago Bottom Line: Boston Red Sox Need Stanton Editorial3 days ago The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Celtics Streaking Boston Celtics6 days ago Boston Celtics Set To Face Their Toughest Test Editorial2 days ago Connelly’s Top Ten – Patriots Good in any Country or Sea Level New England Patriots2 days ago Patriots Football Talk: Patriots Dominance Continues In Mexico Editorial5 days ago Connelly’s Top Ten – 14 Straight! Patriots Try to Survive Mexico City New England Revolution2 days ago Is The Risk Worth The Reward With Brad Friedel?