New England Revolution
New England Revolution

New England Revolution Defeat The Union 3-0

New England Revolution Defeat The Union 3-0

The New England Revolution took on the Philadelphia Union on Saturday night at Gillette Stadium. The turf had been replaced with grass for Saturday’s match. The reason being a preparation move ahead of Sundays ICC match between Roma and Juventas.

In front of 18,584 fans, the New England Revolution defeated the Union 3-0.

The Rev’s presented early pressure with Teal Bunbury getting a prime scoring opportunity but missed just wide hitting the post. After Bunbury’s miss, both sides traded scoring chances and position shifted back and forth.

In the 29′ the Revolution had a free kick after a yellow card by Philly’s Oguchi Onyewu. Lee Nguyen placed the kick perfectly for a header but it missed wide to keep the game scoreless.

In the 34′, Revolution player Gershon Koffie was given a yellow card. New England’s defense was able to hold strong and clear the defensive zone after the free kick. The stalemate was broken in the 38′ with Kei Kamara scoring his 6th goal of the season assisted by Kelyn Rowe.

The goal by Kamara came after several high scoring chances from the Rev’s before Kamara was able to convert.

In the 45′, the New England Revolution had an excellent opportunity to make it a 2-0 game but a full stretch save by Union goaltender John McCarthy on a shot from Rowe kept it a 1-0 game headed into halftime.

To start the second half of play, the Rev’s had an excellent opportunity in the 46′ with Diego Fagundez getting a decent look at the near-post with McCarthy there for the save. In the 49′ the Revolution had another near score, this one better than the last. But once again, New England could not convert with Bunbury setting up Fagundez who missed with a nearly empty net.

In the 67′, Coach Jay Heaps substituted Bunbury for Juan Agudelo who returned to the Rev’s after international duty. Right after the insertion of Agudelo, Rowe set up Kamara for a prime scoring opportunity but missed wide of the far post. After the stop, the Union put immense pressure on the Rev’s defense.

After missing on the offensive side of the ball Kamara saved a goal with a header right in front of the New England Revolution goal in the 69′.

In the 81′, Revs goaltender Cody Cropper made an incredible kick save amidst heavy pressure from Philadelphia. Shortly after the amazing Cropper save, Heaps sent in Je-Vaughn Watson in the 81′ for Fagundez.

In the 85′, Kei Kamara struck again for his second goal of the match assisted by Andrew Farrell and Lee Nguyen who passed to the blazing Farrell down the right side who hit Kamara in the middle for the goal. Juan Agudelo scored a goal 4 minutes later in the 89′ assisted by Scott Caldwell to make it a 3-0 match in favor of the New England Revolution. Nguyen was also credited with the second assist on the goal as well.

Next up for the Revolution is a match against the Chicago Fire on August 5th in Chicago.

New England Revolution Defeat The Union 3-0
Click to comment

Debate With Us

To Top
Read previous post:
David Price
Red Sox Report: David Price Defends His Actions

Red Sox Report: David Price Defends His Actions Boston Red Sox starting pitcher David Price met with the media on...