Red Sox Thought: David Price Pitching His Way Out Of Boston
Boston Red Sox hurler David Price has an opt-out in his contract after the 2018 season, and he is going to use it. No matter how much money is on the table, there is seemingly no chance Price will be in Boston beyond the 2018 season.
For Price, that time cannot come quick enough. His latest antics with the media all point towards a player who wants out of town now rather than later.
On a team flight headed to Toronto, Price blew up on NESN play-by-play analyst and Hall of Famer Dennis Eckersley. When he was asked about the incident on Friday, he said this to the Boston Globes Nick Carfardo.
“Some people just don’t understand how hard this game is.’’
He said that of Eck, a respected member of the media and a person who went through a lot in his MLB career which ended up in a first ballot hall of fame selection. Crazy thing is, that incident was the second time Price had blown up on a member of the media.
Earlier in June, Price had an incident in the clubhouse with CSNNE reporter Evan Drellich. When asked about that incident, he said he stands behind it.
All signs are pointing towards a Price opt-out. His easiest way out is to pitch and pitch well enough to get a competitive offer from another team after the 2018 season. If he fails to pitch well, the price differential between what Boston owes him and what he could get on the open market might be too great.
The issue is, his actions in the media point more towards the scream and shout till they trade me route. A route in which his image in Boston, and around baseball will likely be destroyed.
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Leave your predictions in the comments section below.