featured US Open Controversy Swirling Around The Fescue At Erin Hills Share Tweet Published 4 months ago on June 14, 2017 By Tanner Rebelo US Open Controversy Swirling Around The Fescue At Erin Hills With USGA Deciding To Cut Back The Unplayable Grass Ahead Of Match Play On Thursday The US Open is this weekend at Erin Hills, and with one of golf’s majors ahead of us the US Golf Association decided to make the course a bit easier for PGA Tour golfers. Groundskeepers spent all of Tuesday morning cutting back the thick fescue in the rough of Holes 4, 12, 14, and 18 after they had a meeting with USGA officials. This decision comes after several golfers complained about the conditions of the fescue including Kevin Na who took to social media with a video on Monday showing how his ball got stuck and eventually lost in the thick grass. “Every hole we’ve got this,” said Na. “Every hole.” Erin Hills is a great design course but the fescue is almost unplayable. BTW never found the ball. So don’t hit it in there lol. straight hitters have a chance! #usopen #erinhills #mikedavis #lostball #usga A post shared by Kevin Na (@kevinna915) on Jun 11, 2017 at 10:24am PDT According to USGA officials though the decision to cut back the fescue was not because of golfers complaints but instead of the expected weather conditions throughout the tournament. They believe that the inclement weather that is in the forecast could make the fescue completely unplayable for golfers. Not all golfers are happy about the cutting back of the fescue though with Rory McIlroy essentially calling those who end up in the fescue poor golfers. “Really?” he said. “We have 60 yards from left line to right line. You’ve got 156 of the best players in the world here. If we can’t hit it within that avenue, you might as well pack your bags and go home.” The course at Erin Hills is only 11 years old and this weekends US Open is the first Major it is hosting. The course is essentially links style with very thick roughs complementing wide fairways. “These are the widest fairways we’ve ever played in a US Open,” McIlroy said. “Even the first and second cut is another 10 yards on top of that. “So if you’ve got 50 or 60 yards to hit into and you’re complaining about the fescue that’s wider than that, I don’t think that’s an issue.” The designer of the course Hurdzan Golf Design, had some helpful advice for Na, “Don’t Hit The Rough“. The 2017 US Open Tees off on Thursday at 7:45 a.m. As of right now the betting favorite is Dustin Johnson (+700) followed by McIlroy (+1200). Related Topics:featuredPGA TourUS Open Up Next US Open Winner Prediction Isn’t Going To Come As A Shock Don't Miss Trifecta Network Is Looking For Advertisers Tanner Rebelo Tanner founded Trifecta Network in Spring of 2016 and has been the Chief of Content for the Network since that time. Currently Tanner covers all the sports teams in Boston and has contacts in many of the teams in the city. Before starting Trifecta, Tanner was a Site Expert for the FanSided site Chowder and Champions before leaving to cover Boston teams on the ground as a member of the media for Trifecta. Continue Reading Advertisement You may like Dell Technologies Championship Round 1 and 2 Groupings Announced Justin Thomas Wins the 99th PGA Championship The Open, Brendan Grace Shoots A Historic 62 In Round 3 The Open Championship Brings Back Style And Excitement Brooks Koepka Wins the US Open US Open Talk: It Was Another Close Round at Erin Hills featured Heaps Out, But Who’s to Blame in New England? Published 3 weeks ago on September 27, 2017 By Nate Proctor Heaps Out, But Who’s to Blame in New England? Hope springs eternal one week into the post-Jay Heaps era for the New England Revolution after a surprise 2-1 victory over table-toppers Toronto FC on Saturday. But despite taking three points from their first match since the skipper’s dismissal last week, the Revs will likely need to win out and receive a good bit of help to avoid missing the MLS Playoffs for a second consecutive year. Who’s to blame for the slide into mediocrity since their 2014 MLS Cup appearance? Heaps was the first on the chopping block, yet many have questioned Revolution General Manager Mike Burns as well. Voices around the league from prominent agents, to national soccer writers, to the Twitter artist formerly known as @FakeJayHeaps have pointed to the GM’s culpability. Burns stepped into his role as GM at the same time as Jay Heaps was brought before the 2012 season. In the build to 2014, he played a role in earning the Revolution a reputation for drafting well, utilizing homegrown players and making clever low risk-high reward acquisitions. Is any of that true in 2017? Has it been true since 2014? Continue Reading Editorial State of Trifecta Network Published 3 months ago on August 1, 2017 By Tanner Rebelo State of Trifecta Network The last two months have been a whirlwind. There are no words that can truly describe what has happened to us as a website. We went from a site that was getting an average of 2-3k viewers a week to getting that in a single day on average since the start of June. Since the start of June, we have been a credentialed member of the media to several of the teams in the area and look to increase that in the Fall. Ultimately everything we create is meant to be read/consumed by our readers, you. Often it is tough to get a vibe on what is or isn’t working in terms of content. That is why we would greatly appreciate if you guys give your thoughts in the comment section of this post to help us curate better content. One thing we are looking forward to in the Fall is more reader/writer interactions. We will start doing Q and A’s related to all the Boston sports teams as well as a live Fantasy Football podcast where we will take your lineup questions. The launch of the Fantasy podcast has yet to be decided, but expect it ahead of week 1 of the NFL season with a draft podcast. We will also be launching a Fantasy Football league to run alongside it if interested in joining fill out the contact form below with your information. Trifecta Network is a growing platform, we will always be free and made for our readers. We appreciate your readership and want to build the best product we can to ensure the best Boston sports experience in the city. You may have noticed more video content on the site, it is an area we are looking to improve, but not focus solely on. Many sports sites are going away from traditional writing, a move that I believe is a mistake. If you ever have any thoughts or comments please feel free to reach out to us. Name(required) Email(required) Website Comment(required) Continue Reading Boston Red Sox Boston Red Sox: Realistic Trade Deadline Possibilities Published 3 months ago on July 18, 2017 By Tyler Hetu Third Base for the Red Sox has been a void for the last few months, and these names could help them fill it. As we normally do, every Trade Deadline year after year the Red Sox always throw their hat in the race for the biggest name on the market. This season, Jose Quintana has been the biggest name that was moved and to no surprise the Red Sox checked in on him at some point in the season. With names like Sonny Gray, Todd Frazier, and David Robertson all potentially on the move, I assess the realistic opportunities for the Red Sox to cash in and find their missing puzzle piece at third base. These are some players that you may not of heard of that are likely on the radar for the Red Sox this season: Jed Lowrie playing infield for the Oakland Athletics. Jed Lowrie, Oakland Athletics It shouldn’t be a surprise, but the former Red Sox infielder may find his way back into Boston. With Oakland exploding their team quicker than anyone in the bay area can fathom, most of the Athletics players become a target for trade opportunities (as we saw with Doolittle and Madson). In Boston, Jed Lowrie makes sense. Lowrie is probably the most obtainable of this list. The switch hitter is hitting a respectable .272 with 10 homers and 33 RBI in 83 games. He’s on pace to have one of his better seasons since 2014, but this is only due to injuries. Lowrie is notoriously injury prone, and his low cost can provide a valuable third/short/second option without moving an important player. He was a platoon player while in Boston before ultimately losing his job completely to Jose Iglesias, then Bogaerts, then Will Middlebrooks so platooning is nothing new to him. With Oakland owing him $6 million next year, you would expect the Red Sox to take part of the contract and give up a fringe prospect for him and to Dave Dombroski, this is pocket change. Prepare for the return of Jed Lowrie in Boston. Josh Harrison at bat against the Miami Marlins. Josh Harrison, Pittsburgh Pirates While this is more of a stretch than a reality, I still want to talk about it in case it happens (making me look smart). Harrison has been a sort of Brock Holt style player for the Pirates since breaking into the league in 2011. A career .282 hitter, he doesn’t wow you with flashy power and high RBI totals. Instead he provides a reliable bat that in the lower half of the lineup. Despite being a very reliable part of the Pirates lineup, and a potentially good fit for Boston, he is under contract through 2020. If the Red Sox plan on moving Devers like they did with Moncada, they better haul in a bigger return than 30 year old Josh Harrison. But if Dombrowksi pulls the trigger and decides to go with Harrison expect him to move to a different position if he sticks around. He might even end up at pitcher. Who knows. Eduardo Nunez taking batting practice before the 2016 All Star game. He represented the Minnesota Twins for the American League. Eduardo Nunez, San Francisco Giants The former Yankee (and All Star, believe it or not!) is yet another player that provides flexibility when it comes to filling holes, but once again – all we are focusing on is third base. Red Sox Nation may be hesitant to see another former Giant taking reigns over third base but I promise you that Nunez is nothing like that dude that the Sox just DFA’d. In 67 games this year Nunez is just a tick under .300, batting .297 with 4 homers and 25 RBI. He’s also got 17 steals, so the tangible of stealing bases makes him more of an attractive pick up. Nunez is also signed through this season – potentially making him an even better suit for Boston with prospects waiting. His numbers aren’t flashy, but they’re maybe the most respectable of this list considering he has spent some time on the disabled list. With the Giants in free fall, and more than likely selling the house in two weeks, I would put my money on Eduardo Nunez as one of the first to go. With the deadline two weeks away, I think these three guys could end up in Fenway Park playing third base really soon. While the main point of focus is finding another reliable arm in the bullpen, it is necessary to find a major league ready third baseman who can provide a tangible that Marrero and Lin can’t at this early in their careers – and that is to hit with consistency. Check back in on July 31st and see the madness unfold. Continue Reading Most Popular New England Patriots7 days ago NFL Talk: Week 6 Picks Editorial6 days ago Connelly’s Top Ten – John Farrell Meet Grady, Jimy, John, Don, Butch, Kevin, etc. Boston Celtics7 days ago Boston Celtics Jayson Tatum Has “Truth” To The Hype Editorial5 days ago The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Boston Celtics2 days ago Celtics Talk: The Little Guys Boston Bruins6 days ago Boston Bruins Season Just Started No Need To Jump Ship Boston Bruins4 days ago Boston Bruins Defeat The Arizona Coyotes End Losing Streak New England Patriots4 days ago Patriots Talk: NaVorro Bowman Released By 49ers, Possible Pick-up?