Connect with us
John Farrell John Farrell

Boston Red Sox

Boston Red Sox Lose After John Farrell Leaves Wright In For Too Long

Published

on

Boston Red Sox Lose After John Farrell Leaves Wright In For Too Long

*Updated: So this piece is a tad ranty, and more opinionated than I would have liked given all the injuries that Farrell has had to deal with so far this season. That being said, he made the wrong move given the situation that was unfolding in front of him. Read the article below if you want to know why that is the case. 

Time and time again Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell has illustrated his inability to make in-game decisions in terms of player substitutions. Saturday afternoon’s loss to the Chicago Cubs will go down as just another example of Farrell failing to see what is slapping him right in the face.

On Saturday starter Steven Wright had a solid 6 innings of work giving up three runs with 97 pitches under his belt. Despite what seems like straightforward logic Farrell decided to throw Wright out there to start the seventh inning even though all the signs pointed to getting him out of dodge before it was too late.

Unfortunately for Boston Wright gave up a missile to Miguel Montero on the first pitch of the inning. Following that came an Albert Amora pop-up and a Jon Jay double. At that point, three batters too late, Farrell pulled Wright as he had no one warming up to start the inning knowing his knuckleballer was reaching his limit.

In came Robby Scott who gave up a single to Kyle Schwarber making it a 5-4 game in favor of the Cubs. Then recently called up Ben Taylor came in and walked Kris Bryant before getting Anthony Rizzo to ground into a force play that ended up including the Red Sox having two throwing errors making it a 6-4 game.

But hey it is alright guys none of this is on Farrell, it is on Matt Barnes for getting suspended for four games for throwing at the head of Baltimore Orioles third basemen Manny Machado. Technically the Red Sox are down a man with Barnes suspended, and with no days off till May 8th the Red Sox bullpen is under siege.

Below is what Farrell said about if Barnes was available.

“Yeah, I would have,” said Farrell when asked if he might approach the inning differently if he had Barnes available. “Now, I will say this, with Joe Kelly being down today, we’re in a situation where if Robby Scott starts that inning, we’ve got Baez waiting to hit for Jon Jay and not getting a favorable matchup with the short porch in left here. More than anything, the way he had gone through the lineup just twice up to that point, he was in good shape with Steven going back out for the seventh.”

Farrell is using the schedule that every team has and the Barnes suspension as a crutch to defend his actions that blew up in his face as he stares down the possibility of ending April as a .500 ball club. The team called up Taylor prior to the game as a fresh arm, with the team also being at home for the remainder of the Barnes suspension, they have the luxury of flipping guys back and forth between Boston and Pawtucket (45 minutes away).

Even being down a man in the pen is manageable because of the prior mentioned facts, you have Noe Ramirez, Robbie Ross, and Brandon Workman all sitting down in AAA. There are ways to work around your roster to bring one up at a time and send them packing the next day, sending Wright out there was not Farrell’s only choice, there were other ways to protect his bullpen from overuse. If he thought Wright was near the end of his outing he could have protected himself by having someone warming up to start the inning.

Take ownership of your failures, no wonder Xander Bogaerts blamed their lack of production on the offensive on missing David Ortiz, the kid is learning from the best. Seriously though how has no one asked Xander after a game of offensive production how they are doing it without Ortiz.

Tanner founded Trifecta Network in Spring of 2016 and has been the Chief of Content for the Network since that time. Currently Tanner covers all the sports teams in Boston and has contacts in many of the teams in the city. Before starting Trifecta, Tanner was a Site Expert for the FanSided site Chowder and Champions before leaving to cover Boston teams on the ground as a member of the media for Trifecta.

Boston Red Sox

Red Sox Rumor: Jackie Bradley Jr. Being Shopped For Trade

Published

on

Red Sox

With the Boston Red Sox looking to acquire a power bat this offseason to keep up with the Yankees they are reportedly shopping a core member of their current team.

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today the player Boston is shopping is center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. One potential destination for Bradley is the Chicago Cubs. Chicago has been connected to Boston with slugger Kyle Schwarber potentially being available.

Schwarber has mashing power but has had issues at the plate having a .211 average last season that caused the Cubs to send the home run hitter back to the minors last June.

Bradley who hit 26 home runs two seasons ago fell back to 17 home runs this past season with a .245 batting average. His fielding ability though makes up for any shortcomings he has at the plate and his contract status could be very appealing in the trade market. Bradley Jr. has three years of arbitration remaining on his contract.

If Boston moves on from Bradley the likely scenario of outfield positioning would be moving Andrew Benintendi over to center field keeping Mookie Betts out in right field.

Continue Reading

Boston Red Sox

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Stanton in Pinstripes Edition

Published

on

MLB Home Run Derby

The snow is now cascading down upon us with indifferent wrath. Today, Boston saw the first real Winter Storm of the impending season. And while you were outside futilely efforting to resist nature, with your shovels and snowblowers, the World of Baseball fractured entirely.

If you haven’t heard by now, you live under the most obscure rock in existence. The New York Yankees have purportedly acquired Giancarlo Stanton from Derek Jeter and the Miami Marlins. 

Stanton is currently going through the formality of physicals and medical checkups – as if there’s going to be anything physically wrong with this inhuman behemoth.

The Winter Meetings commence tomorrow. It is expected that the trade will be officially announced soon after.

Reports suggest that the Yankees have agreed to eat $265 million of Stanton’s contract, while sending Starlin Castro to Miami along with a couple of low-level pitching prospects.

This was our White Whale, Boston – this one got away and we still ended up dying in the end.

Dave Dombrowski looks like an absolute fool for having let this chiseled new-school Bambino slip through his hands. He immolated the entire pitching crop, down on the farm. So it’s inconceivable that Dombrowski didn’t offer the kitchen sink, in his pursuit of Stanton.

Conversely, underneath the surface, Giancarlo’s mind might have been irrevocably made up, before talks even started. He’s a city-slicker. Miami nightlife translates better to Big Apple nightlife than it does to the half-revelry of the Boston Commonwealth.

The Yankees obtain Giancarlo Stanton, presupposing the implications for the Red Sox and fans alike. It’s with a heavy heart that I unfortunately welcome you to a familiar and antique era of Red Sox Baseball. It’s the late 90’s all over again…

But, you know what? Let’s try to make light of this nonplussing news! Yeah, we don’t need Giancarlo Stanton and those Damn Yankees still won’t win the World Series! It’s time for another installment of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Continue Reading

Boston Red Sox

Boston Red Sox Do Not Need To Get A Big Bat

Published

on

Red Sox

Many have stated their wishes that the Boston Red Sox will go out and get a big-time bat for the heart of their order. A bat that they seemingly need to help protect the likes of Mookie Betts and Hanley Ramirez in the lineup. One of the bigger names connected to the team is Giancarlo Stanton, but reports show that idea as a longshot with Stanton not looking at Boston as a possibility.

Another name, Jose Abreu, is also reportedly out of the running with Ken Rosenthal reporting that the White Sox will not trade their slugger before the start of the season. With the potential list shortening with JD Martinez and Eric Hosmer leading the running, maybe Boston should sit still this offseason.

That is sort of a controversial take, but the notion of Hosmer or Martinez doesn’t get the juices flowing, and ultimately will cost the Red Sox more then they are worth.

So what is the answer, Boston still needs a first basemen for next season. A position that could be filled with Sam Travis and Hanley Ramirez given the idea that Dustin Pedroia will find some time at the DH spot next season with Eduardo Nunez getting some quality time at second base. Another possibility is Rafael Devers not panning out at third base and needing to move to first base or DH at times.

Also in the cards is prospect Michael Chavis who should find himself in AAA Pawtucket at some point next season and maybe in Boston at third base or first. Then comes the possibility of Blake Swihart or my favorite, Bryce Brentz. Both were getting trained at first base with Pawtucket last season and could see reps at first base if Dave Dombrowski opts to not sign a big-time bat.

Of course, these solutions are not as flashy and will not present an immediate threat for Boston in the heart of their order. But betting on the current roster to bounce back at the plate and see an emergence of another young player might be a route to take.

Worse case scenario they get the same amount of production and end up right around 90 wins like they were this past season. But the upside of keeping the financial flexibility going forward while trying out prospects might be the best thing for Boston to do instead of overreacting to fan pressure.

Continue Reading

Most Popular

Copyright © 2017 Trifecta Network