Connect with us

Boston Red Sox

Boston Red Sox Reliever Matt Barnes Tagged With Four Game Suspension

Published

on

Boston Red Sox Reliever Matt Barnes Tagged With Four-Game Suspension For Throwing At Manny Machado‘s Head

Just a day after Boston Red Sox reliever Matt Barnes threw at Manny Machado Major League Baseball decided that the offense was punishable and came down with a forceful ruling.

Barnes has received a four-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for intentionally throwing a pitch in the area of the head of Manny Machado in the bottom of the eighth inning of Sunday’s game. Barnes is appealing the suspension and thus will be available Tuesday night when the Red Sox host the Yankees.

Barnes was seeking retaliation for what happened Friday night when Machado took Dustin Pedroia out on a slide at second base. Pedroia missed the final two games of the series with knee and ankle injuries. As of Monday afternoon, he is considered day-to-day.

“People are going to think what they want,” Barnes told reporters after the game “All I know was I was trying to go up and in, trying to get some weak contact with [Adam] Jones on first. Unfortunately one got away from me, and like I said I would never intentionally throw at somebody’s head. That’s potentially life-changing and that’s unacceptable.”

The whole situation where Machado took out Pedroia and then the Red Sox staring down the Baltimore dugout after the game just to wait days for Barnes to retaliate. Then after Barnes threw at Manny, Pedroia then yelled at him during the game saying it wasn’t him who wanted it but it was them (team or Barnes).

Then after the game, Pedroia continued to distance himself from Barnes actions and in the other clubhouse Orioles reliever, Zach Britton made a comment saying if Dustin isn’t controlling the Boston clubhouse than there are bigger issues over there.

Personally, the Sox handled this whole thing poorly, first of all, they should have nailed Machado the next day with Steven Wright on the mound. Instead, they waited days to retaliate for an action that Pedroia had already gotten over. Barnes deserves to be suspended, but four games is a tad much. Maybe two games would have been a more reasonable punishment, but the idiot threw in the head region of Machado due to his lack of control in his fastball.

This whole thing is a mess and shows that there is some big questions in the Red Sox clubhouse leadership structure.

Tanner founded Trifecta Network in Spring of 2016 and has been the Chief of Content for the Network since that time. Currently Tanner covers all the sports teams in Boston and has contacts in many of the teams in the city. Before starting Trifecta, Tanner was a Site Expert for the FanSided site Chowder and Champions before leaving to cover Boston teams on the ground as a member of the media for Trifecta.

Boston Red Sox

Boston Red Sox Finally Land Their Guy

Published

on

According to multiple reports, the Boston Red Sox have reached an agreement with infielder Eduardo Nunez.

Nunez is set to be the primary second basemen to start the season with Dustin Pedroia still recovering from offseason surgery. After Pedroia returns Nunez will likely serve as the primary backup infielder for the Red Sox with occasional time at the DH spot also a potential route for him.

Nunez was traded to the Red Sox in July from the San Francisco Giants and had an impressive offensive performance in 38 regular-season games for the Sox. But a PCL injury limited him as the season wore down. He did not go for surgery on the knee, choosing instead to rehab, but the visual was bad when he was last on the field when the knee buckled. He had to be carried off the field in the playoffs. But some offseason videos of Nunez working out shows some signs of promises.

Nunez’s deal is pending a physical.

Continue Reading

Boston Red Sox

Mookie Betts Not Thinking About His Contract

Published

on

Red Sox

The Boston Red Sox and Mookie Betts weren’t able to come to a long-term agreement this offseason with both sides actually going all the way to arbitration with the ruling going in Betts’ favor.

Despite both sides not actually agreeing on anything this offseason, there is apparently no hard feelings.

“I’ve enjoyed my time here, for sure. Now that 2018 is here I can focus on this calendar year and next year we can focus there. Right now I’m just worried about 2018.” Betts stated to the media on Thursday at Jet Blue Park.

This past offseason the 25-year-old asked Boston for $10.5 million in his arbitration case with Boston eyeing $7.5 million for this season. Despite the process being rather rocky Betts found the back and forth interesting and has nothing by admiration for the team.

“Just seeing that side of it is pretty interesting,” he said. “I like those type of things, kind of see how people debate. There were no hard feelings, nothing wrong, I love these guys. Nothing changed. I’m just going to continue to go out and play and have my same relationship that I always have.”

 

Betts seemed to take the process as a learning experience with two more coming in the following two years with the outfielder eyeing a free agent track three seasons from now.

“Well I’ve got to give credit to my agents. They do a really good job of equipping me,” he explained. “I think my first year they were already talking about arbitration and those types of things. I had a pretty good diea kind of going into it. Once I kind of got to go through it, you kind of see a couple of new things that kind of happen and how it feels in the room and those type of things and how the process goes. My agents did a great job in letting me know how things would go and they were spot on.”

Continue Reading

Boston Red Sox

JD Martinez Throwing Wrench in Red Sox Offseason Plans

Published

on

JD Martinez

Current online MLB sportsbook odds have the Boston Red Sox as the 6th most likely team to win the world series, right behind their hated rivals in New York. To increase their odds, they need to sign another big bat.

For months there has been speculation about the Boston Red Sox resigning outfielder JD Martinez to the team, but it appears they may have hit a snag in negotiations. It has been reported that Boston offered Martinez a five-year deal in the neighborhood of 125 million dollars and apparently that is not enough.

Martinez is rumored to be “fed up” with Boston and speculation is that he could end up signing elsewhere or come into training camp without a deal on the table. The team and Martinez are still talking but a failed deal could change the offseason plans of Boston a bit.

Last season, Martinez hit 29 homers and drove in 65 RBI’s while only playing 67 games for the Arizona Diamondbacks and hit a total of 45 home runs with and 104 RBI’s overall for the season. At age 30, he is rounding into one of the best power hitters in the MLB. Now it is rumored that a potential return to Arizona is in the cards.

Boston could certainly use another big bat to take the next step towards becoming a true MLB contender again and if Martinez were to sign elsewhere, their search would start all over. Boston should do all it can to negotiate with Martinez as his talent is evident. Although, if things do fall through, there are a few other options available such as:

Jose Bautista: Despite being 37, the power is still there for Bautista as he hit 23 homers last season with Toronto. Unfortunately, his gain has tailed off some as evidenced by his .203 batting average. If things get dicey for Boston, Bautista may be a bit of a cheaper option now due to this age.

Carlos Gonzalez: Gonzalez is another big-name hitter whose games may be on the decline. He only managed 14 home runs last season, but at age 32 there is a possibility of a nice bounce-back year. Again, Gonzalez could be a cheaper option closer to the season.

Jayson Werth: Continuing the trend of aging power hitters, Jayson Werth is available on the market after a stint with the Washington Nationals. Werth’s numbers were down this year but are a bit skewed due to the fact that he only played 70 games. He cannot be relied upon on a daily basis anymore but could be a decent pickup as a part-time bat to use.

For the Red Sox, Martinez is clearly far and away the best option available on the Market. As you can see, most of the big names available this offseason is aging and declining players. While each of them could still have some big hits left in them, losing out on Martinez for one of these guys would be a mighty drop off for Boston.

Martinez is not happy with the Red Sox current offer and perhaps it may be time for them to show him the money. With limited other bats available, Martinez is the clear difference maker. Signing Martinez would greatly enhance their chances in 2018.

Continue Reading

Most Popular

Copyright © 2018 Trifecta Network