Boston Red Sox Boston Red Sox Roster Battle Heats Up With Roster Cuts Coming Published 10 months ago on March 17, 2017 By Tanner Rebelo Share Tweet Prev1 of 3NextUse your ← → (arrow) keys to browse Boston Red Sox Roster Battle Heats Up With Roster Cuts Coming The Boston Red Sox start their 2017 campaign two weeks from Monday, and with no major roster battles occurring there is still some debate on who will make the Opening Day roster and who will not. On Thursday prior to their Spring Training matchup with the Pittsburgh Pirates Red Sox manager John Farrell talked in-depth about the teams roster and where his head is at when making decisions in regards to roster cuts. A few of the positions that are up for grabs are apparently still undecided and Farrell made sure to reiterate this point to the media present at Jet Blue Park. “Where is our left-handed relief going to shake out as, and how does our bench and the third-base combination thereof play out? There’s been nothing determined,” said Red Sox manager John Farrell. “The same situations exist — left-handed relief, the bench and third-base situation, who’s going to be in that tandem behind the plate. We’re starting to get a little more information on the rotation, just by virtue of the physical ailment to David Price, to who’s pitching currently.” That lefty reliever spot would seem to be the one legitimate unknown, with Robby Scott, and Edgar Olmos who are both making a strong case for Farrell to go with them over the veteran Fernando Abad who joined the team last season after the Red Sox traded with the Minnesota Twins to land him. Abad for better or worse decided to play in the World Baseball Classic for his home county of the Dominican Republic instead of remaining in camp to battle for his uncertain roster spot. Abad has made two appearances for the Dominican Republic in the WBC, giving up two hits in 1 1/3 innings, Scott has thrown in six innings, not allowing a run over six innings. Scott does, however, have options allowing the Red Sox to send him back and forth from AAA-Pawtucket while Abad does not have that option. The Red Sox are clearly still interested in Abad as they passed the deadline to cut the lefty and only be on the books for 1/6th of his salary. The next checkpoint will come March 29 at 2 p.m., with the Sox being on the hook for 1/4 of Abad’s $2 million deal if he is released. After that, the team will be forced to pay the reliever the whole ball of wax. The one player who could sneak past Scott and Abad is Olmos who is currently not on the 40-man roster and is on a minor-league contract. The 26-year-old lefty has struck out 11 in 7 2/3 innings thus far this spring and there could be a real potential of him breaking out this season for Boston. One of the obstacle Olmos currently faces is a hamstring injury which caused him to get pulled out of a game on Monday. “Edgar Olmos is throwing the ball very well,” Farrell said of the southpaw, who has pitched in 11 big league games. “One of the reasons we pursued him is the curveball. We feel like it’s a pitch that can have consistent success at the big league level. He’s starting to build some arm strength. We’re starting to see more power to his fastball to create greater separation between the two pitches. He’ll get on the mound hopefully tomorrow to hopefully throw long toss out to 120 feet today, so we’ll anticipate him getting back on the mound. The reason he came out of the game the other day was short-lived. He’s been a guy who has impressed so far.” [wc_button type=”primary” url=”http://www.trifectanetworksports.com/?p=6438&page=2&preview=true” title=”Next Slide: A Battle In The Infield Leads To Battle Behind The Plate” target=”” url_rel=”” icon_left=”” icon_right=”arrow-circle-right” position=”center” class=””]Next Slide[/wc_button] Prev1 of 3NextUse your ← → (arrow) keys to browse Related Topics:Boston Red SoxfeaturedJohn Farrellmlbred soxRed Sox Roster Up Next Boston Red Sox 3rd Basemen Pablo Sandoval Looks Like He Can Actually Play Baseball Now Don't Miss Red Sox Pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez Turned Down Team Venezuela In WBC Tanner Rebelo Tanner founded Trifecta Network in Spring of 2016 and has been the Chief of Content for the Network since that time. Currently Tanner covers all the sports teams in Boston and has contacts in many of the teams in the city. Before starting Trifecta, Tanner was a Site Expert for the FanSided site Chowder and Champions before leaving to cover Boston teams on the ground as a member of the media for Trifecta. Continue Reading Advertisement You may like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Patriots, Must-Win Edition Red Sox Rumor: Jackie Bradley Jr. Being Shopped For Trade The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Stanton in Pinstripes Edition Boston Red Sox Do Not Need To Get A Big Bat How the NBA has Posterized the Modern Age Bottom Line: Boston Red Sox Need Stanton Boston Red Sox Red Sox Rumor: Jackie Bradley Jr. Being Shopped For Trade Published 1 month ago on December 11, 2017 By Tanner Rebelo With the Boston Red Sox looking to acquire a power bat this offseason to keep up with the Yankees they are reportedly shopping a core member of their current team. According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today the player Boston is shopping is center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. One potential destination for Bradley is the Chicago Cubs. Chicago has been connected to Boston with slugger Kyle Schwarber potentially being available. Schwarber has mashing power but has had issues at the plate having a .211 average last season that caused the Cubs to send the home run hitter back to the minors last June. Bradley who hit 26 home runs two seasons ago fell back to 17 home runs this past season with a .245 batting average. His fielding ability though makes up for any shortcomings he has at the plate and his contract status could be very appealing in the trade market. Bradley Jr. has three years of arbitration remaining on his contract. If Boston moves on from Bradley the likely scenario of outfield positioning would be moving Andrew Benintendi over to center field keeping Mookie Betts out in right field. Continue Reading Boston Red Sox The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Stanton in Pinstripes Edition Published 1 month ago on December 10, 2017 By Jackson Kelley The snow is now cascading down upon us with indifferent wrath. Today, Boston saw the first real Winter Storm of the impending season. And while you were outside futilely efforting to resist nature, with your shovels and snowblowers, the World of Baseball fractured entirely. If you haven’t heard by now, you live under the most obscure rock in existence. The New York Yankees have purportedly acquired Giancarlo Stanton from Derek Jeter and the Miami Marlins. Stanton is currently going through the formality of physicals and medical checkups – as if there’s going to be anything physically wrong with this inhuman behemoth. The Winter Meetings commence tomorrow. It is expected that the trade will be officially announced soon after. Reports suggest that the Yankees have agreed to eat $265 million of Stanton’s contract, while sending Starlin Castro to Miami along with a couple of low-level pitching prospects. This was our White Whale, Boston – this one got away and we still ended up dying in the end. Dave Dombrowski looks like an absolute fool for having let this chiseled new-school Bambino slip through his hands. He immolated the entire pitching crop, down on the farm. So it’s inconceivable that Dombrowski didn’t offer the kitchen sink, in his pursuit of Stanton. Conversely, underneath the surface, Giancarlo’s mind might have been irrevocably made up, before talks even started. He’s a city-slicker. Miami nightlife translates better to Big Apple nightlife than it does to the half-revelry of the Boston Commonwealth. The Yankees obtain Giancarlo Stanton, presupposing the implications for the Red Sox and fans alike. It’s with a heavy heart that I unfortunately welcome you to a familiar and antique era of Red Sox Baseball. It’s the late 90’s all over again… But, you know what? Let’s try to make light of this nonplussing news! Yeah, we don’t need Giancarlo Stanton and those Damn Yankees still won’t win the World Series! It’s time for another installment of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Continue Reading Boston Red Sox Boston Red Sox Do Not Need To Get A Big Bat Published 1 month ago on December 7, 2017 By Tanner Rebelo Many have stated their wishes that the Boston Red Sox will go out and get a big-time bat for the heart of their order. A bat that they seemingly need to help protect the likes of Mookie Betts and Hanley Ramirez in the lineup. One of the bigger names connected to the team is Giancarlo Stanton, but reports show that idea as a longshot with Stanton not looking at Boston as a possibility. Another name, Jose Abreu, is also reportedly out of the running with Ken Rosenthal reporting that the White Sox will not trade their slugger before the start of the season. With the potential list shortening with JD Martinez and Eric Hosmer leading the running, maybe Boston should sit still this offseason. That is sort of a controversial take, but the notion of Hosmer or Martinez doesn’t get the juices flowing, and ultimately will cost the Red Sox more then they are worth. So what is the answer, Boston still needs a first basemen for next season. A position that could be filled with Sam Travis and Hanley Ramirez given the idea that Dustin Pedroia will find some time at the DH spot next season with Eduardo Nunez getting some quality time at second base. Another possibility is Rafael Devers not panning out at third base and needing to move to first base or DH at times. Also in the cards is prospect Michael Chavis who should find himself in AAA Pawtucket at some point next season and maybe in Boston at third base or first. Then comes the possibility of Blake Swihart or my favorite, Bryce Brentz. Both were getting trained at first base with Pawtucket last season and could see reps at first base if Dave Dombrowski opts to not sign a big-time bat. Of course, these solutions are not as flashy and will not present an immediate threat for Boston in the heart of their order. But betting on the current roster to bounce back at the plate and see an emergence of another young player might be a route to take. Worse case scenario they get the same amount of production and end up right around 90 wins like they were this past season. But the upside of keeping the financial flexibility going forward while trying out prospects might be the best thing for Boston to do instead of overreacting to fan pressure. Continue Reading Most Popular Boston Bruins2 days ago Boston Bruins Former Coach Claude Julien Returns To Boston New England Revolution1 day ago 5 Players The Revs Could Take in The SuperDraft New England Patriots5 days ago Patriots Talk: Terry Glenn’s Autopsy Discovers Multiple Substances Editorial4 days ago Connelly’s Top Ten – Another Treat! New England Patriots5 days ago Patriots Talk: The Rift Within The Patriots Is Overblown New England Patriots5 days ago Patriots Football Talk: Blowout in Foxborough New England Patriots6 days ago Five Thoughts Heading Into To Patriots vs Titans Editorial4 days ago Connelly’s Top Ten – On to the Jaguars!