Who Should The Bruins Protect In The Expansion Draft
The NHL Expansion Draft is just about a month away, as it will be held on June 21st. Before the Vegas Golden Knights are able to pick their players, there are some rules that everyone needs to follow.
The Rules For Protecting Players:
There are two options for protection:
- Seven Forwards, Three Defensemen and one goalie
- Eight Skaters (Forward/Defensemen) and one goaltender
Also all players who have a “No Movement” clause automatically have to be protected in the draft. Then all first and second-year pros, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection.
Player Exposure Requirements
All teams must meet certain minimum requirements in regards to the players that can be exposed for selection.
- One defensemen who is a) under contract in 2017-18, b) played in 40 games or more NHL the prior or played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons
- Two forwards, same rule apply from above
- One goalie who is under contract in 17-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the exasperation of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available in order to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club’s protected list
Players with a potential career-ending injury or have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games may not fall under the requirements and are exempt. Vegas will make their picks by 5 pm ET on the 20th and the results will be revealed on the 21st.
Who Vegas Can Pick
- Las Vegas must select one player from each team. 30 players in total.
- Vegas must pick 14 forwards, nine defensemen, and three goalies.
- 20 of those players have to be under contract for the 2017-18 season.
- The team cannot buyout any of the players selected in the Draft earlier than the summer following their first season.
All Teams must have their list of protected players submitted by 5:00 pm ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017.
What Should The Bruins Do
The Bruins will most likely go with option A and protect 7 forwards, three defensemen and 1 goalie.
- David Krejci “NMC”
- Patrice Bergeron “NMC”
- David Backes “NMC”
- David Pastrnak, he is a great young star that has shown that he could be a top goal scrorer very soon
- Brad Marchand, he is under contract until 2025 and is you top goal scorer
- Tim Schaller, A solid players that can play wing or his natural center.
- Riley Nash, a great 4th line guy that still brings a lot of skill to the game
- Zdeno Chara “NMC”
- Colin Miller, a young kid with a bunch of upside as he continue to develop
- Torey Krug, A great guy to run the PP through and also a solid d-man.